Internal Medicine: 703.330.8809
Surgery & Behavior Medicine: 703.361.0710
 

8614 Centreville Road, Manassas, VA 20110

Halloween

Keep Your Pets Safe at Halloween!

Follow these tips to ensure your pets have a safe and Happy Halloween.

Treats
Make sure your pets only receive pet-specific treats. Candy is unsafe for pets. There are two kinds of candy that are extremely dangerous for your pets.

Chocolate: In all forms chocolate can be toxic to your pet—dark chocolate and baking chocolate are the most potent and are the most dangerous forms for your pet. Symptoms of chocolate toxicity include, but are not limited to:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Excessive thirst and urination
  • Panting and restlessness
  • High heartrate
  • Severe cases can include
    • Muscle tremors
    • Seizures
    • Heart failure

If your pet has ingested a large amount of chocolate, especially dark and baking, take your pet to your regular vet or emergency hospital immediately.

Xylitol: This is an ingredient in sugar-free candy. Dogs and cats can’t process Xylitol like we can—even a small amount can be very toxic. If you think your pet has ingested Xylitol it is important to get them to your veterinarian or emergency hospital right away. Symptoms of Xylitol poisoning include, but are not limited to:
• Weakness/lethargy/collapse
• Vomiting and/or black tarry stools
• Tremors and seizures
• Loss of consciousness/coma

Safety: It is best to bring your pets inside before the trick or treating starts. The chaos, costumes, and surrounding activity can be overwhelming for them. Sadly some people take Halloween as an opportunity to do aggressive and mean things to pets. If your pet becomes agitated from repeated knocking on the door you can set up outside to pass out candy.

Decorations: Pumpkins, corn, hay, candles, and candy make for festive decorations. Be careful where you place them around the house. Pumpkins, although non- toxic, can cause upset stomachs if eaten in large volumes. Large chunks of pumpkin and especially corn can get lodged in the stomach or intestines making for an extremely dangerous blockage which would require immediate surgery. Don’t leave lit candles in places that could be easily knocked over. If you have particularly adventurous or playful pets it may be best to use outside decorations only.

Happy Halloween!